Silence greets Government choice ads

financial-planning-association/SOA/financial-planners/assistant-treasurer/FPA/

10 June 2005
| By George Liondis |

By George Liondis

The Federal Government’s multi-million dollar advertising campaign on superannuation choice has failed to arouse consumers, adding to fears that few will be prepared to change funds come July 1.

Assistant Treasurer Mal Brough said in Canberra last month the Government’s super choice hotline, which is heavily promoted in the ads, had registered only 15 per cent of the expected number of calls.

Brough said the low volume of calls could be an early indication that few people will switch funds when choice is introduced on July 1.

Of the people who had contacted the hotline, 85 per cent simply wanted a copy of the Government’s super choice information booklet.

“From July 1, I don’t expect the world to change. In fact, I don’t expect much to change at all,” he said.

Speaking at a conference of Financial Planning Association (FPA) members, Brough acknowledged that the complex and lengthy Statement of Advice (SOA) documents that financial planners were required to produce under the Government’s Financial Services reforms were adding to the confusion for consumers.

However, he said planned changes to the requirements, announced by Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer Chris Pearce earlier this month, would aim to fix the problem before the introduction of choice.

“What most people want to know is pretty simple things to allow them to make decisions they can understand,” he said.

“As it currently stands, the documents don’t help that at all. What we need is something that is practical and also provides the safeguards.

“I’m sure Chris Pearce, my colleague, will deliver that. This is very important given where we are on superannuation choice.”

Brough also confirmed the Government would push ahead with the planned establishment of a permanent Financial Literacy Foundation, to replace the existing Financial Literacy Taskforce.

The Government has allocated $5 million a year to run the foundation, but will also provide a one-off $16 million grant for it to run a large-scale advertising campaign.

Financial planner and media commentator Paul Clitheroe, who has been selected to sit on the board of the foundation, said its aim would be to establish a “basic hygiene” level of financial literacy for all consumers.

Read more about:

AUTHOR

Recommended for you

sub-bgsidebar subscription

Never miss the latest news and developments in wealth management industry

MARKET INSIGHTS

So we are now underwriting criminal scams?...

2 months ago

Glad to see the back of you Steve. You made financial more expensive, not more affordable as you claim, and presided ...

2 months ago

Completely agree Peter. The definition of 'significant change is circumstances relevant to the scope of the advice' is s...

4 months ago

Entireti has unveiled the new name for the AMP financial advice businesses that it acquired last year....

4 weeks 1 day ago

A Sydney financial adviser has been permanently banned from providing any financial services, with the regulator deriding his “lack of integrity, trustworthiness and prof...

3 weeks ago

Minister for Financial Services, Stephen Jones, has provided further information about the second tranche of the Delivering Better Financial Outcomes (DBFO) reforms....

1 week 6 days ago

TOP PERFORMING FUNDS