Babcock & Brown board of directors dwindles
The embattled Babcock & Brown (BBL) has suffered a further blow with the resignation of four members of its board of directors, including managing director and chief executive Michael Larkin and chairman Elizabeth Nosworthy.
Currently in voluntary administration, BBL notified administrators Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu yesterday of the resignations of Larkin, Nosworthy and directors Roger Handley and Geoffrey Martin, effective April 29. Two company secretaries also resigned earlier this month.
In an announcement to the Australian Securities Exchange filed by the administrators, Deloitte said it had not been involved in any discussions with the parties prior to their resignations. The administrators also said they were “seeking legal advice around the proposed resignations from BBL and the implications thereof”.
Deloitte said it would not comment on any impact the resignations may have on their investigation into BBL, but believed it had sufficient power at law to obtain information needed to satisfactorily conclude its enquiry.
BBL placed itself in voluntary administration in mid-March following a decision by its board of directors that the company was likely to become insolvent.
Nosworthy, Handley and Larkin remain directors of Babcock & Brown International.
Recommended for you
ASIC has released the results of its first adviser exam to be held in 2025, with 241 candidates attempting the test.
Quarterly Wealth Data analysis has uncovered positive improvements in financial adviser numbers compared with losses in the prior corresponding period.
Holding portfolios that are too complex or personalised can be a detractor for acquirers of financial advice firms as they require too much effort to maintain post-acquisition.
As the financial advice profession continues to wait on further DBFO legislation, industry commentators have encouraged advisers to act now in driving practice efficiency.